- Bathing chinchilla in the sand
- Sand washing process
- Rules for bathing chinchillas in the sand
- Choosing a bath for bathing chinchillas in the sand
- Which sand to choose
- If the animal refuses to swim
- How long after birth is bathing allowed
Chinchilla – a cute little animal, the owner of valuable fur, the birthplace of which are considered the Andes (highlands). The conditions in their natural habitat are not suitable for normal swimming: (rivers are very fast-moving). Therefore, furry animals (they belong to the genus of rodents) are forced to "take baths" in the sand or dust of volcanic origin. Today we will tell you in detail how to bathe chinchillas in the sand so as not to cause her any inconvenience. After all, this animal has a very vulnerable psyche and is subject to stress.
Bathing chinchilla in the sand
When a chinchilla bathes, this is a very funny sight. And although as a result the grains of sand will be scattered around, it is necessary to provide the opportunity to tumble in the sand to your pet. The intake of sand and dust “baths” is very necessary for this rodent for the proper functioning of the body.
The soft abrasive effect of sand on the chinchilla’s coat cleans it of dirt particles. And also relieves the animal from excess moisture. Sand, as an adsorbent, getting into the undercoat of an animal, absorbs moisture particles. This helps prevent the development of bacteria and parasites that multiply only in moist places.
Worry about the fact that the grains of sand will fall into the ears of the animal should not be. The ears are equipped with special membranes that will not allow this.
Sand washing process
Even understanding that bathing chinchillas in the sand is an important and necessary part of her life, such a procedure can be arranged no more than 2 times a week. It is enough to pour clean, fine sand into a spacious container. Then the animal will decide what to do.
- A layer of 3-5 cm is suitable, and you can change it to fresh after 10-15 bathing procedures.
- The bathing tank should be sized so that the animal can fit in it freely. As soon as the pet is in the sand, it begins to rotate and wallow in it. Then periodically shake off and somersault again, so that the grains of sand can penetrate under the wool for deep cleaning.
- Usually a chinchilla bathes for about 30 minutes. At this time, she must be left alone. You can not pick up the animal in your hands or disturb in another way.
- It is contraindicated for the rodent to carry out such procedures daily. Sand instantly absorbs moisture, after which the skin of the animal becomes dry. The edges of the ears can even become bald because of this.
- Ordinary river sand for bathing activities the animal will not work. It contains a large number of harmful microorganisms.
- If the container with the contents for dry bathing is constantly present in the cage of the animal, the pet may find another use for it. For example, use instead of the toilet, which will make the bath unsuitable for bathing.
The optimal number of bathing days for this rodent will depend on the humidity level in the room where it is located. If the humidity is kept at 40.50%, you can buy chinchillas in the sand 1 time in 7 days. At higher humidity – 2-3 times a week.
Rules for bathing chinchillas in the sand
The procedure for swimming in the sand should be carried out in the evening, when the animal is most active. At this time, he will be able to more thoroughly clean himself from pollution.
- Before bathing a chinchilla in the sand, it is sifted well to remove various debris, wool and lumps formed as a result of the previous bathing procedure, while a part of the fresh sand must be added.
- The costs of this procedure can be considered the formation of dust, which appears as a result of the activity of the animal. Therefore, it will be better if bathing the chinchilla will take place in the bathroom (it will be easier to wipe the surface from dust there).
Choosing a bath for bathing chinchillas in the sand
The chinchilla bathing container may be ceramic or plastic. It does not matter. It is important that its sides are of sufficient height. Then the animal during bathing will not be too active in spilling sand outside.
In those cases when it is not possible to purchase a special bath for bathing chinchillas, you can make it on your own. An ordinary plywood box, a cardboard box or even a three-liter jar can replace it. At the same time, it will be possible to get a lot of positive emotions by watching how your pet "takes a bath", and even shoot a funny video.
When the bathing process of the chinchilla is over, you need to remove the container with sand from the cage so that the animal does not use it as a toilet.
Which sand to choose
In nature, for washing chinchillas, dust is used, which was formed as a result of a volcanic eruption. Sand for swimming chinchillas is a very conditional name. It is more correct to use the definition – filler. On sale there is a large selection of this substance with a pricing policy from 100 to 300 rubles. For 1 kg. (depends on production).
The best manufacturers (in terms of price – quality) in our market are the following manufacturers:
The use of ordinary sand to clean the fur of the animal is contraindicated. Coarse abrasive can harm delicate chinchilla skin. In addition, become a cause of diseases associated with exposure to harmful bacteria that swarm in huge numbers in river (sea) sand. It should always be taken into account that under natural conditions bathing of chinchillas occurs in sterile volcanic ash and sedimentary rock products. They do not contain harmful bacteria and exclude any infection of the rodent.
To maximize the right conditions for a cute fluffy pet, the manufacturers of the filler, in which the chinchilla washing will be the most comfortable, decided not to abuse modern technology. Famous manufacturers use only materials of natural origin. In addition, natural material in the process of bathing chinchilla is able to eliminate unpleasant odors. You can get this result using sepiolite, cyiolite, etc.
Of the many offers it can be very difficult to choose one thing. Although usually the composition of all fillers is identical, with a difference in the size of the grains of sand. Therefore, to choose the one in which bathing the chinchilla will be as comfortable as possible, you need only experimentally. The sand in which the animal "takes a bath" without enthusiasm should be changed to another.
If the animal refuses to swim
When a furry pet expresses dissatisfaction with all possible means and does not want to carry out "hygiene procedures", this may be due to poor-quality filler. In this case, you need to find out what sand the animal is used to. This can be done experimentally. After choosing a quality filler, bathing chinchillas in the sand will be much easier.
If a chinchilla refuses to swim due to malaise (lack of appetite, apathy), it must be shown to a veterinarian.
How long after birth is bathing allowed
The female chinchilla after birth should not bathe for 1 to 1.5 weeks. This is due to the fact that she has not yet completely closed the birth canal (accompanied by various mucous and bloody secretions). Therefore, many veterinarians agree that it is possible to stay in the sand of an animal after childbirth no earlier than a week later.
If the female rodent after birth does not have any secretions, it is possible to give her the opportunity to lie in the sand for 3-4 days already. And heavy (with complications) childbirth generally excludes bathing of chinchillas in the sand until complete recovery.
Contents Sand functions Sand baths Features of sand composition Sand for swimming Talcum and other additives Ready-made bathing mixes Mr Alex Lolopets…
Before getting a pet, most people ask themselves how difficult it is to take care of a pet. Most often, cats, birds and fish are preferred. Recently,…
Chinchillas are very active animals that adore running and exploring the surrounding area. That is why their happy owners often ask themselves: is it…
Contents Chinchillas as pets Content Features The necessary conditions How to accustom to the toilet Care Features Chinchilla diet Bathing Video:…
Is it worth getting a chinchilla at home Hello! So I decided to share my impressions of communicating with a new exotic beast for me. chinchilla . For a…