- When puberty occurs
- Matching couples
- How mating chinchillas at home
- Chinchilla Crossing
- Frequently Asked Questions About Breeding Chinchillas
Chinchilla is an animal family of rodents. Breeding furry animals at home is a difficult but interesting activity. How to properly care for a small rodent of a valuable fur breed so that they bring posterity, this article will tell.
When puberty occurs
Female chinchillas reach puberty at eight months of age, males a few months earlier. In both individuals, sexual activity lasts about 12 years. In nature, the mating season for chinchillas lasts from March to November.
Animals breed at home with proper feeding, dry climate, air temperature not lower than 20 ℃. In one year, the female rodent can give birth 2-3 times from one to five puppies, but no more than twice a year. Chinchillas begin to mate after three to four months of cohabitation, and acquire offspring almost a year later. Pregnancy of a small rodent lasts up to 3.5 months.
The time for mating rodents is selected taking into account the age of the female and male. Sexual maturity in a female occurs from six months of age. For a female of this age, the partner should be three months older than three months. And for an individual older than a year, it is better for the male to be several months less. But this is not the main thing in the selection of a pair. Important conditions in choosing partners for mating:
- It is necessary to have the same tribal traits;
- Be from a purebred breed, with good genetics;
- Have good health;
- Possess fur of the same color and quality;
- Do not create related couples until the third generation.
Fat or very thin animals are not mated to produce viable offspring. Rodents are placed in separate cages and watch for their behavior. Then the male is planted in the cage to the female. If the behavior of the animals is not aggressive, then the transplant was successful. There are times when chinchillas begin to conflict, then it is better not to pair them. Females of rodents often show more aggression than males. It is easier to create a pair of young animals, as they quickly get used to each other and by the time of puberty are ready for the production of offspring.
How mating chinchillas at home
In captivity, chinchillas mate better from November to May. When chinchillas are ready for procreation, they dramatically change their habits. The male wags its tail, runs after the female, makes snorting sounds. The female behaves differently, she:
- Shows concern;
- Loses appetite;
- Throws food around the cage.
Animals mate during estrus in the female. The course occurs in 1-1.5 months. Sometimes, due to the characteristics of the chinchilla organism, the minimum cycle is 20 days, and the maximum is 60 days.
Features of crossing the main breeds
In chinchilla hybridization, there are rules. It is not recommended to cross two black velvet chinchillas, as they may not produce offspring.
- If you cross with Wilson snow-white, you get snow-white velvet. From Wilson’s beige, white, silver, mosaic individuals are born. The Wilson breed also has a lethal gene. Therefore, crossing these two breeds is not recommended. Successful for crossing beige chinchillas. If you cross them with individuals of black velvet color, you get brown velvet, and with Wilson snow-white – white-pink color.
- To get a smoky or chocolate color, they cross with a chinchilla – the carrier of the ebony gene. As a result of hybridization of two homosexual, hetero-beige or hetero-and homo-beige chinchillas, homo-beige animals are obtained. If homo-beige crosses with ordinary individuals, then hetero-beige animals are born.
- When a rodent of the color brown velvet is crossed with a rodent of ebony color, the color is velvet pastel.
- Snow-white ebony chinchilla fur is painted in white and black. To get such an individual – white heteroebony and homoebony are crossed. Mixing with rodents of white flowers is not recommended because of the deadly gene.
- Chinchillas, painted in velvet pastel color, have a bronze back, brick eyes. This color is obtained by hybridizing pastels with brown velvet or velvet ebony. With such selection, the likelihood of obtaining chinchillas with chocolate-velvet tint of fur increases.
- Homoebony fur is considered interesting – ideally black is very rare. Hybridization results in homo-beige, chocolate brown, purple fur.
- Heteroebony reproduce better than homoebony. The color of the coat varies from light to dark. This color is obtained after hybridization of homoebony and gray chinchilla.
Frequently Asked Questions About Breeding Chinchillas
When buying chinchillas for breeding and sale, different questions arise.
Why chinchillas do not breed – the main reasons for not mating
Reasons for not mating can be:
- Unsuitable age of the couple;
- Weak or sick animal;
- Improper care and maintenance conditions;
- Individual qualities.
At what age are chinchilla babies ready to say goodbye to mom?
Young chinchillas weigh an average of 30-75 grams, need breast milk and continue to eat it for another two months. Small chinchillas are allowed to be weaned from an adult female, when the weight of the babies reaches 200-260 grams.
Can I mate chinchillas to relatives?
To exclude sick and weak offspring with birth defects, it is not recommended to pair relatives chinchillas.
How to make friends a future pair of chinchillas before mating?
Before planting one animal to another it is recommended:
- Pick up a cage with a height of less than one meter, a width of 75 cm;
- Wash the aviary thoroughly before planting chinchillas;
- Remove all foreign objects from the cage so that during a possible fight the animals are not injured;
- Build a labyrinth from the boxes so that the male can escape if the female shows aggression;
- Roll the female in the sand with the feces of the male, and place the rodent-boy in the uncleaned cage of the female individual;
- First, place the male in his cage in turn, and put the female to him;
- The owner of the animals must observe the behavior of the couple for four hours. If chinchillas begin to show aggression, fight, they are immediately isolated and provided with medical care;
- To distract rodents from conflict, it is necessary to add coarse hay to the enclosure – it will distract them from rude behavior;
- Observe animal behavior until the end of the day;
- It is recommended to feed a couple with high-quality feeds, which include fresh fruits, useful microelements, various vitamin supplements;
- Patiently wait for your beloved pets to prepare for the reproduction of offspring;
- If the pairing has not occurred for a long time – start looking for another partner or partner.
Can chinchillas have same-sex relationships?
Two chinchillas of the same sex can easily live a lifetime, especially if they come from the same litter or grow together in the same cage.
Breeding Chinchillas At Home As Rodents Mate And Breed
Contents When chinchillas mate Puberty in Chinchillas Wild Mating Chinchillas How to pick and prepare mating chinchillas Partner acquisition Meeting…
Contents Chinchilla breeding: pair selection Breeding chinchillas Video: Diet and Care for Pregnant Chinchilla Mom! Chinchilla Breeding: Pregnancy…
Contents Pairing Pregnancy Chinchillas Childbirth in chinchillas Baby care Compared to other rodents, chinchillas are small-bearing animals. Usually in a…
Breeding chinchillas Want to know about the life of a chinchilla in nature, about its friends and enemies, then click here: Chinchilla in nature Go to…
How To Organize Chinchillas
Contents Breeding and breeding animals Pregnancy Feeding babies Childbirth of chinchillas is a natural physiological process and a logical conclusion…