- Identifying the cause and first steps for diarrhea
- Symptoms of diarrhea
- Chinchilla diarrhea treatment
- How to treat chinchilla if diarrhea occurs due to helminthic invasion
- How to prevent the treatment of chinchilla diarrhea
Chinchilla diarrhea is an unpleasant phenomenon for both the animal and the owner. It is noted by frequent, unformed stools with loose stools. It can be a symptom of a disease (for example, infection, helminthic invasion, digestive disorders, poisoning), and requires prompt treatment.
Before you run to the pharmacy for medicines, you need to determine what caused the pet’s malaise. Symptoms for these diseases are similar, and the veterinarian will help determine the true cause.
Identifying the cause and first steps for diarrhea
The peculiarity of the body of chinchillas is in a long food tube 12 times the length of the body. It is needed for the digestion of food with a lot of fiber. If there are no dry twigs / herbs in the feeder, diarrhea may occur.
Chinchilla diarrhea associated with the following causes:
- Violation of the diet. The animal could be overfed, dramatically change its diet, replace mother’s milk with feed, offer poor quality water, or feed it with spoiled foods (rotten, frozen, infected bacteria). It is worth considering that the chinchilla needs special nutrition, and it should not be given food, like a person, dog or cat.
- Inflammation of the mammary glands of a nursing female chinchilla. If the cubs drink milk from inflamed nipples, this will affect their digestion.
- Irritation of the intestinal mucosa by the following food: coarse salt, toxic plants, various fertilizers, or grain that has been treated with pesticides.
- Ingestion of pesticides.
- Poisoning by poisonous herbs. These include digitalis, henbane, buttercup, honeysuckle, hellebore, adonis, dope, anemone and lily of the valley.
- Diseases of the stomach. Enterocolitis, gastritis, flatulence, colitis, tympanum) guarantee diarrhea of non-infectious origin. They are called catarrhal diseases.
- Infectious diseases (viral enteritis, pasteurellosis, enterotoxemia, colibacteriosis).
- Helminths and protozoa can cause a problem. The first include trichocephalus, nematodes, anoplocephalidosis trichostrongilida.
- Stress. It may appear if the pet changed the situation: for example, he stayed in the apartment of a friend of the owner for a while, after going to the clinic or to the street, where something frightened him.
- Reducing the amount of fiber in food.
- Increased fat and protein in the diet.
- A sharp increase in the daily volume of succulent feed.
- Frozen food (berries that have lain in the refrigerator for a long time, etc.).
- Sharing a new individual in a cell: this refers to a stressful situation. May cause diarrhea in both pets.
- The death of another chinchilla from the family.
- A new owner, or replacing an old cell with a new one.
The first steps in case of diarrhea are an immediate visit to the veterinarian if the chinchilla poop (bolus) smells too unpleasant. Any delay can cost a pet life. The veterinarian will conduct an examination, and according to the results of the tests, he will tell you exactly what is the cause of diarrhea.
The next step is to check the feed and litter in the cage. If they are spoiled, or moldy, they should be thrown away and replaced with fresh ones. Water needs to be changed, a bowl from under it should be washed with a disinfectant. Wash the cell and keep it clean.
Symptoms of diarrhea
Symptoms will report a digestive problem in the animal:
- Chinchilla has loose stools, frequent bowel movements;
- Inactivity, apathy;
- Refusal of food, or poor appetite;
- Unusual smell of boluses after defecation;
- Rare urination;
- Dry nasal mucosa;
Chinchilla diarrhea treatment
You can treat a pet in a folk and drug way.
With a folk method, recommendations will help:
- Lost moisture in the body of the animal can be restored by drinking plenty of electrolytes. To prepare an electrolyte solution is available at home, diluting in 0.5 liters of warm water ¼ teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Water the animal with a solution during the day.
- Feed only coarse hay and water it.
- Allow to grate the pomegranate peel.
- Offer 1 tablet of activated carbon per day.
- Drink infusion of oak bark. He is preparing like this. A teaspoon of bark is poured with 100 ml of hot but not boiling water and infused for 3 hours. Then 15 ml of infusion (1 teaspoon) is mixed with 300 ml of slightly warmed water and allowed to drink to the pet. With mild diarrhea, pieces of oak bark, put in a feeder, are also suitable: the pet will gnaw them and recover.
- Feed a large chinchilla with healthy boluses. This will restore digestion. Turd must first be crushed, and slightly diluted with water.
- The herb hemorrhage, a natural antiseptic, will save in the form of a decoction. They need to drink the animal twice a day.
- Prepare a decoction of chamomile or plantain, and give it a drink from a syringe, or pour it into a drinker. Plants will also help in dry form, however, when brewed, medicinal substances are absorbed faster and have a quick effect.
- Give the animal to gnaw a tablet of activated carbon.
- 1 tablet of Phthalazole 1 time per day.
- The drug Bifitrilak, 0.1 mg per kilogram of live weight of the animal.
- Smecta with a spoon, or in the form of a suspension, diluted with 50 ml of water. Drink from a syringe 2 ml 2-3 times a day.
- Liarsin: 1 tablet 2-3 times a day.
- 1 Linex capsule, divided into 6 parts (give 2-3 parts daily, for 1 week). It can be given as a powder, or diluted with warm water and watered from a syringe.
- Vetom 1.1 (probiotic preparation). Strictly applied instructions. The taste is sweet and many animals like it. For prevention, after recovery, it is allowed to water the pet with the drug for 1 week.
- Lactobacterin or Bifidobacterin. One dose is diluted with 2.5 ml of water, and watered from a syringe.
- Hilak-Forte, diluted in water (10-20 drops per 200 ml).
- Enterofuril, 0.2 ml 2 times a day.
- Enterosgel. 1-2 cubes 2-3 times a day, for 5 days.
- Enterol-250. The capsule is divided into 6 parts, 1 part twice a day.
- Ersefuril. The capsule is divided into 4 parts, and give one by one, dissolving in water. For prevention, the animal is given medicine for another 48 hours.
- Pro-kolin, once a day, as a dietary supplement.
Vitamins (for example, vitamin C) will help the animal recover faster after treatment.
How to treat chinchilla if diarrhea occurs due to helminthic invasion
About 50% of all chinchillas suffer from this misfortune. Soft boluses, sometimes appearing, then disappearing, can signal a disease. After analysis, parasites are often found in them.
Verified drugs can help:
- Furazolidone. One tablet is divided in half, rubbed and mixed with 100 ml of water. The solution is poured into a drinking bowl, and it must be changed every day, from time to time, shaking or stirring so that there is no precipitate. If the pet drinks little water, the concentration should be reduced (maximum by half). The course is carried out for 1.5 weeks. As a rule, this period is enough to remove parasites;
- Nemozol. 15 mg of the drug (per 1 kg of weight) is ground, dissolved in warm water, and allowed to drink the animal from the syringe. You need to take it during the day, in 3 divided doses. The procedure takes 7 days.
After the course of treatment, a 7-day break is taken. Control tests after 14 days indicate the success of treatment. To avoid a recurrence of the disease, the cell should be thoroughly washed, ventilated and disinfected.
How to prevent the treatment of chinchilla diarrhea
If the chinchilla has diarrhea, a quick visit to the veterinarian and timely treatment will help with the ailment. To prevent diarrhea from recurring in the future, it is important to remember which prescriptions will help to avoid it:
In conclusion, a few words can be said about how to avoid diarrhea in a pet. Chinchilla is such an animal, for which it is important to move a lot, so that the intestines work well. The animal will be healthy if it is placed in a spacious, clean cage, where there is the opportunity to run, play and a bath of sand – for swimming. This will help prevent obesity, heart problems, digestion and breathing, and extend the life of your pet.
Contents Stroke Heatstroke Preparations for anesthesia and analgesia Fecal softening and diarrhea Venipuncture Bloating Diet Constipation Coat Skin…
Contents Diagnosis of the disease Treatment An exotic animal, the chinchilla was introduced from the South American continent. Cute and charming – this…
Contents The reasons Symptoms Treatment Features of diarrhea in chinchilla babies What to do if there is no way to contact a veterinarian? Alternative…
Contents HOW TO FEED CORRECTLY? WHAT DO NOT FEED? Video: pet feeding WHAT CAN THE RODENT FEED? CAN I FEED FRESH FRUITS TO GET WEIGHT If a person has got…
Symptoms And Treatment Of Constipation In Chinchillas
Contents What are the symptoms and causes of constipation Possible Causes of Stool Disorders Treating mild to severe constipation Actions for mild…