1. You can’t just bathe a chinchilla in water.
Water procedures will not lead to anything good. Not only can a smart fur coat suffer, the animal can just catch a cold and become seriously ill. It is impossible to wet chinchilla wool, only in the most extreme cases. Each chinchilla should be able to take sand baths 2-3 times a week. Moreover, the sand for such baths should not be quartz (it is too coarse for a gentle coat of chinchilla), but special (the so-called "volcanic dust").
2. Do not keep chinchilla in a small cage.
Chinchillas are very fond of moving, jumping. Moreover, freedom of movement vertically is very important for them (jump from shelf to shelf). Therefore, for chinchillas, cages for pigs or rabbits are not suitable at all, in which the space is not vertical, but horizontal.
It is undesirable to keep a chinchilla without a house in a cage. Lack of opportunity to hide in a suitable wooden house. strong stress for her, chinchilla loves minks and tunnels, needs the opportunity to retire to a quiet, shaded place. Minimum cage sizes for one chinchilla: width 60cm, height 50cm, depth 40cm. The presence of shelves: at least 1 shelf. Chinchilla can jump sitting in place to a height of 20 cm. The location of the shelves should be Z-shaped and that the chinchilla would not beat with its nose. High cells (showcases) are divided into 2 floors, so that the chinchilla would not be able to jump higher than 30-50cm, in order to avoid fractures. If the chinchilla will live in a rabbit cage for a long time, this will have a bad effect on its digestion, psychological state and development in general
3. You can’t let chinchillas walk around the apartment unattended.
Chinchillas are rodents who like to try everything on a very sharp tooth that will attract their attention. They are easy to pin down or step on them.
And half the trouble, if the animal just spoils your wallpaper, coffee table or favorite book. Chinchilla has no idea about the dangers of electric current and will not stop in front of wires connected to the network. If you neglect a walk, they can ruin your furniture or equipment with your teeth, they will bite everything that is bad and try to crawl into any gap It is better to allow walks in only one room: a room or a bedroom. There are a lot of smells in the kitchen, and in the hallway we change our shoes and there is an opportunity to infect the chinchilla with the simplest
4. You can’t give the chinchilla eat nuts (this is not protein) and a lot of fresh food (this is not mumps).
The main food of captive chinchilla is high-quality granular food and good hay. Nuts, as well as an excess of fresh vegetables or fruits, can harm the animal’s delicate digestive system and internal organs. You can’t feed chinchillas with only goodies, although they themselves do not refuse them. After all, you will not feed the little child with sweets alone. Goodies should remain goodies, that is, that the animal receives occasionally, for example, as a reward for a fulfilled team. Chinchilla is a herbivore, and their liver is not designed for nuts and seeds in large quantities,
It is better to exclude them from the diet in general. It is also not advisable for a person to eat fried potatoes once a week, especially those with weak liver.
The owner of the chinchilla decides what his chinchilla will eat and what not.
5. You can’t cross relatives. This item applies to any animals.
What is the danger of inbreeding? The offspring received from close relatives amplifies negative characteristics (defects, predisposition to diseases). Sometimes breeders take risks to fix some quality (for example, color, body shape, etc.). But this is precisely the risk, often very serious. After all, the desired quality may not appear at all, and the defects that have appeared will darken the life of both the animals and their owners.
6. You can not plant a female to the male (especially if he is older), if the female is younger than six months.
Each animal species has a period when the individual seems to be ready for the birth of offspring, but childbirth is not yet desirable, since the female’s body is still growing and developing. Early childbirth can lead to illness (or even death) of both the offspring and the female. If you want to make a couple at once, you will have to raise the animals in separate cages, until they grow, get stronger and gain the required weight, by about 7-8 months, or even longer. The female should weigh more than 500gr to plant to the male.
7. You can not expect from a chinchilla that it will be tame, like a cat.
Chinchillas are pretty independent. They do not tolerate "cronyism" even from the owner. But with skillful taming, they calmly sit on their hands. You can’t carry a chinchilla with you like a Yorkshire dog; for these animals, any moving is unnecessary stress.
8. You can not let chinchillas in the country on the street for a walk on the grass.
There are many attractive animals in the land, which is absolutely impossible for him to eat. For the same reason, they should not be allowed to gnaw at home flowers. They and the flowers from the pot will try the flowers themselves. Many house flowers are poisonous even in small quantities.
9. You can not keep chinchillas in the cold (below 14 degrees) and in drafts.
Although the chinchilla has a gorgeous fur coat, it does not save the animal from the cold. But you can’t overdo it with heat. If the temperature in the room is too high (25 or higher), the animal may receive heat stroke. Also avoid direct sunlight in contact with the chinchilla. In winter, do not allow the battery (you can cover it with a blanket) to avoid overheating.
10. You can not expect from the chinchilla that she will go to the toilet in a special tray.
It is worth remembering that these animals poop involuntarily. You can teach a chinchilla to write in a tray, but there is no guarantee that your little animal will be so neat.
11. You still can not leave the chinchilla in a room where it is very noisy.
For example, if you want to have a home party, make sure that the rumble of your home stereo is as far away from their ear-pads.
12. It is undesirable to leave chinchillas, even in a cage, unattended with other larger domestic animals (cats, dogs), even if they get along well.
A cat or dog may begin to show aggression towards the chinchilla, which can frighten it very much. Fright is stress, which leads to a decrease or loss of appetite, a decrease in immunity and timidity, even to the hands of the owner.
13. You can not dramatically change the diet.
The intestinal microflora of chinchilla is very sensitive to feed changes. If necessary, transfer to another feed, it must be added to the old one, starting with a small amount, and gradually increasing. Usually, switching to a new feed takes 7-14 days.
14. You must not catch chinchillas and snap sharply!
They are very stressed out of this. Frequent stresses lead to a stroke or heart failure of a chinchilla.
If the chinchilla is released around the room, while walking, it is better to slit the slots under the sofa, behind the cabinets, so that the chinchilla runs in full view, and does not sit under the sofa and possibly screams from stress.
15. Do not use oak shavings as bedding, because The animal attaches, which can lead to death (constipation).
It is undesirable to use a filler with odors, chinchillas – allergics. It is undesirable to use sawdust with dust and dust, because Sawdust can be scattered and the fur coat of the animal will not be well-groomed. Watch that the granular filler does not eat, sand can also be used by chinchilla as an opportunity to take a bath.
16. You cannot intentionally wake a chinchilla in the afternoon when she is supposed to sleep.
For chinchillas, this is stress and a decrease in immunity. People sleep at night, and chinchillas during the day. How does the lack of restful sleep affect the body. Bad If you have children at home, educate them to respect and consider the needs of animals.
17. You can’t leave things dangerous for the chinchilla around the apartment, she tries everything on the tooth and can not swallow it, but swallow it. Absolutely without a second thought, food can be eaten, which is a real poison for it. For example: chocolate, indoor flowers, foil, beads, polyethylene, varnished wood, threads, paper (napkins, newspaper, magazines), etc.
This is if the chinchilla is released from the cage to run around in the room.
18. You can’t walk the chinchilla on a leash on the street.
Chinchilla is a nocturnal animal, and even if you walk at night – it still will not behave like an obedient dog. He can eat something unnecessary (a cigarette butt, a packet to gnaw), cut his feet on glass. The chinchilla eats with its paws, so it is advisable that the floor in the apartment is clean, and on the street, especially cities – they do not belong. Chinchillas are ill with protozoa and can die from them. Chinchillas have very fragile bones and it is dangerous to pull them with harness!
19. It is impossible to plant a chinchilla in a sphere (a walking ball).
Ball. it’s really torment for them, you don’t even jump normally there. And it’s very easy to get injured with him, they don’t have time to brake, and BABAH happens. The sphere quickly becomes stuffy, so chinchilla overheating can be at any moment. Most often, such walks are stress for the animal. A person thinks that the animal likes to be there, in fact, the chinchilla is trying to find a way out and run out. The best option is a spacious cage, and at the time of cleaning the cage, transplant the chinchilla into an acceptable carrier (sufficient air access, stable and not too cramped). Chinchilla is important to jump, and not walk like a hamster.
20. No fresh apples.
There are chinchillas in which, from fresh apples, softening of boluses and digestion problems from a couple of chinchilla bites. From dried apples there are much fewer problems, therefore, in a general recommendation, dried ones are advised. Fresh apples have a lot of organic compounds (which increase the acidity of gastric juice) and a high sugar content, which negatively affects the health status of shunsha.
In a small number (not more than a wedge) they can be used as a source of water. For example, on the road, when a shushka is transferred from one city to another, and there is no way to put a drinker. Or if you suspect constipation (when the boluses are dry, hard, there are few of them and the chinchilla is sluggish) you can also empty some fresh apple to empty it
22. You can not give branches of stone fruits, such as: plum, cherry, apricot, peach, lemon, cherry, etc. Where is one bone. They contain a higher content of hydrocyanic acid, which can eventually cause poisoning in the chinchilla. It is better to give branches of apple trees, mulberries, willows.
23. You cannot drink chinchilla with water that is not standing still under the tap; this can cause gastrointestinal upset. Better – filtered or bottled water WITHOUT GAS. You can not drink tea, coffee, chinchilla milk. Milk is digested in pectoral chinchillas, i.e. Up to 2 months.
24. You can not plant babies under the age of at least 3 months. If you pick up a chinchilla at the age of 2 months, this will lead to problems: the chinchilla will feel bad (anyway, that a child of 3 years old will be sent to school), maybe eat badly, scream and cry night and day, she will need MAXIMUM Your attention, not to be able to swim in the sand and take care of yourself. Chinchillas are planted from mom in 3-4 months from the date of birth.
25. You can’t take pictures of a chinchilla with a flash often. This blinds them and causes stress. It is better to take pictures in daylight, or in the light of a bright light bulb with a shade (that would not blind your eyes when the chinchilla looks up).
26. You can not shout at the chinchilla. This is very scary for them, they perfectly understand the intonation of a person. Shouting / noise causes stress in the chinchilla, and stress shortens life.
Chinchillas can make a lot of noise in a cage at night, it depends on the nature of the chinchilla and the existing cage and the presence of objects in it. There are quiet chinchillas, they themselves do not like to make noise, and some are vice versa. You never need to yell at a chinchilla, especially when she is sleeping. By nature, she is curious (tries everything on the tooth) and nimble (moves quickly and loves minks), almost like a child.
27. You can’t chase chinchilla, she definitely needs to sit a bit and catch her breath. Thick fur quickly warms them with intense running.
28. You can’t plant a new chinchilla on the very first day to your existing chinchilla. Otherwise, it leads to stress of both chinchillas, possible injuries and illnesses. It is advisable to quarantine for 30 days. Each chinchilla in its cage, a new "tenant" settles in and gets used to the changes, and the already living animal gets used to the "guest" by smell. There is no guarantee that they will get along after quarantine. Two chinchillas = two cages, if they fight among themselves, or someone gets sick. It is advisable to examine chinchillas for the presence of protozoa in the body, at least once a year to take bolus tests in a good laboratory. Coccidiosis is common in chinchillas and rabbits. If there is a lot of coccidia in the body, this leads to constipation / diarrhea while maintaining proper nutrition and cell hygiene. Ways of infection: hay contaminated by rodents from "wildlife", sick fellow in the cell, intrauterine infection from the mother, etc. Helminths also enter the body about the same way, and it is also possible from other domestic animals (if you have them), and you just could have brought some kind of bullshit from the street on your shoes, and on a walk the shushka could eat it (this is the case if you practice free walks around the house).
29. It is undesirable to keep chinchilla in a cage with other animals, such as: mice, hamsters, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles.
. it’s something, like racism in people, i.e. Few good results. Each of these animals has its own smells and behavior, nutritional needs and character. Yes, guinea pigs and rabbits get along well, but are there really so few chinchillas that they can’t buy a fellow from chinchillas. )))
30. You must not allow the chinchilla to lick medicines that are not intended for internal use and to neglect the dosages in the treatment or prevention. Find out more information about the drug that you were prescribed. If there is a need to lubricate a bruise or wound, gently hold the chinchilla in her hands so that it is comfortable for her and she cannot lick the ointment (wipe off the residue with a bandage). Take care of the life of the chinchilla, its weight is small (it is important to know the exact weight and weigh the chinchilla at least once a week or a month), so for them a couple of drops of any medicine can be critical when you need to drink or inject something. It is necessary to clearly calculate the dosage of the drug, it is advisable to use already tested on other chinchillas and know their well-being, but taking into account the situation of your chinchilla. Prevention and treatment – this is the difference in dosage, but any treatment should be treated responsibly.
Special thanks to the chinchillist /.NEBEL./
Can Bananas Chinchillas
Chinchillas, although they belong to rodents, are not omnivorous. When buying a small animal, it is necessary to understand that its health will…
Why Chinchilla Screams At Night Care And Maintenance Of Chinchillas At Home
Contents Chinchilla Description The benefits of the animal as a pet Why chinchillas scream at night Character, habits and features of chinchillas…
Chinchillas At Home
Contents Where did they come from Breeding chinchillas in captivity Fluffy namesake Chinchilla: how to behave with a rodent Chinchilla at home We buy…
What herbs should not be given to chinchillas? You can not give: St. John’s wort, fern, horsetail, sedge, chinton, raven eye, buttercup, whitewash, dope,…
How To Make Diy Accessories And Toys For Chinchillas
Contents What does a chinchilla need in a cage? Moving Walking ball Outboard Wheel Bell toy Static Shelves Tunnels Stairs and sticks Hammocks Optional…