- What are the symptoms and causes of constipation
- Possible Causes of Stool Disorders
- Treating mild to severe constipation
- Actions for mild constipation
- Relieve severe constipation
- How to prevent constipation in chinchillas
Chinchilla is a patient, hardy rodent, but it has vulnerabilities in the body. This is the digestive system. It directly reflects the general condition of the animal and is very sensitive. What to do if chinchilla has constipation, how to deal with it?
Various changes: moving, the quality of drinking, the composition of the feed – all this can lead to disruption of digestion. This problem should be quickly resolved, otherwise serious complications are possible, up to a fatal outcome.
What are the symptoms and causes of constipation
Symptoms of constipation in a chinchilla can develop from a few hours to several days. With constipation, which develops slowly, the boluses become small, there is a possibility of dysbiosis. This often happens with a bacterial infection or with a parasite infection. In these cases, you need to remove the cause, not the symptoms.
Symptoms look like this:
- There are few or no small boluses;
- The animal does not poop for several days;
- Bloating is possible;
- Chinchilla is inactive;
- There is lethargy of the animal, heavy breathing;
- The pet does not eat.
Possible Causes of Stool Disorders
There can be several reasons for an animal to develop constipation:
- The pet was overfed with sweet food. Boluses smell like fermentation products, and flatulence is also observed;
- If antibiotics have been used in large quantities or stool disorder may occur for a long time;
- The animal does not drink enough;
- A piece of wool or another foreign body may enter the stomach;
- Overeating hay;
- Poor feed;
- Diseases of the liver, stomach;
- Bacterial component.
Treating mild to severe constipation
To eliminate constipation in the chinchilla, treatment should begin with a search for the problem that caused it.
Often it is difficult and does not bring results. It is necessary to make sure that there is constant water in the cage and the animal is not limited in movement. Remove food, complementary foods, various goodies. During this period, one hay will be enough for the pet.
If the chinchilla does not drink enough water, then you can resort to tricks and spread the tip of the drinker with apple or raisins – this usually helps.
Actions for mild constipation
Give chinchilla enough hay, it helps to normalize stool.
Feed the animal a slice of prune or apple.
Effective broth of dried apricots, it has a laxative effect.
A proven remedy for constipation (only mild!) Flax seed. You can feed up to six seeds per day, but it is better to make a decoction: 4 teaspoons of seed per 250 ml of boiling water. Insist until slightly thickened, squeeze, solder the diseased pet up to three times a day, 3 ml at a time (conveniently from a syringe).
Enema, but not more than three times a day (may help the first time).
Relieve severe constipation
In the event that the chinchilla does not go to the toilet at all and there are no boluses, at home, the following actions should be taken:
- Urgently check for obstruction. To do this, give the animal a syringe of petroleum jelly every few hours to check the freedom of bowel movement from the anus. If possible, it is better to resort to x-rays – this is more reliable.
- Glucose (2 ml 5%) and saline (10 ml) injections twice a day at the withers.
- Effective homeopathic preparations Liarsin and Veracol, they can be added to the above drugs (0.5 ml).
- Katazol (pricking 0.8 ml each) will help maintain and strengthen the rodent’s body.
- In case, in addition to constipation, bloating is present, then you can give Espumisan, Tympanol (according to the instructions).
- If there is no bloating, you can try Cerucal.
- To alleviate the condition of your pet, do him a massage of the abdomen in a circular motion – it will be easier for him.
- Dufalac (5 drops) – twice a day until the symptoms are eliminated.
Activated charcoal must never be given to chinchillas!
How to prevent constipation in chinchillas
Than to deal with constipation, it is better not to allow it. You need to monitor the chinchilla boluses – this is the main indicator of the digestive system. Here is a list of what is strictly prohibited:
- Do not give beets, grapes, cabbage, sweet pepper;
- Exclude goodies from the host dish: salted, fatty, spicy and fried;
- Any milk is prohibited:
- Exclude oak, cherry, plum leaves.
Feeding chinchilla products from a common table is one of the most common causes of constipation.
Healthy nutrition should include a juicy, dry food and fortified mixture. Dry food is hay, it is necessary in the diet and must be constantly present in it. It is necessary to monitor its freshness and cleanliness, lack of mold. Succulent foods include leaves and twigs of a tree, shrub. Chinchillas love to feast on dandelions, leaves of strawberries, nettle shoots. Legumes and bran are important for good digestion.
When buying a new pet, quarantine should be observed for at least two weeks. Often, a chinchilla comes with an infection, so it takes time to evaluate the condition of a new friend, and only then introduce them.
If the animal’s food is balanced and includes all the necessary vitamins, and the owner protects the animal from unnecessary stress, then there should be no digestive problems.
Contents Stroke Heatstroke Preparations for anesthesia and analgesia Fecal softening and diarrhea Venipuncture Bloating Diet Constipation Coat Skin…
Causes And Symptoms Of Fleas In Chinchillas
Contents Flea Chinchilla Inspection How fleas get into an apartment How chinchillas get infected with fleas Symptoms of fleas in a chinchilla Treatment…
Contents Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in chinchillas Diarrhea Constipation Bloating Gastroenteritis Chinchillas skin diseases Gnawing wool…
What herbs should not be given to chinchillas? You can not give: St. John’s wort, fern, horsetail, sedge, chinton, raven eye, buttercup, whitewash, dope,…
Contents What foods can be given to chinchilla. Prohibited Products Foods that can be given in limited quantities Allowed Products Finished feed Green…