- Important points in catering for chinchillas
- Care Features
- Chinchilla diet
- How to feed chinchilla at home?
When breeding, one should carefully approach the question: what chinchillas eat, as well as the organization of their diet. High-quality food is the key to the normal development and growth of animals. In general, the list of products that rodents can eat is very limited. Therefore, an approximate diet for chinchilla should be prepared in advance.
Rodent nutrition should be complete and varied
Important points in catering for chinchillas
The natural habitat of chinchillas is desert highlands. In the wild, rodents consume a minimum of water and food. This is due to the scarcity of vegetation growing in the mountains, and its high calorie content.
Chinchilla in the wild
When kept at home or on farms, it is necessary to provide animals with more abundant and varied food so that they can receive both the necessary calorie content and a sufficient amount of nutrients. When organizing catering for chinchillas, the following important points should be considered:
- The diet should be balanced.
- You should enter enough high-calorie, but not fatty foods in the menu.
- The rodent must receive the necessary vitamins and minerals not only from vitamin mixtures, but also from everyday food.
- At least 5-7 different foods should be included in the diet.
Oatmeal, greens, nuts
Chinchillas quite often change their taste preferences. To some extent, this is due to the ability of animals to independently determine which nutrients they need at the moment. However, it should be noted that rodents are very fond of goodies: fruits, berries, some herbs. Animals can consume them in large quantities, which is harmful to their health. Therefore, the amount of these products should be limited.
No need to give rodents too many treats
Chinchillas are picky enough to eat. So that the animal does not lose its appetite, it is necessary to make its diet varied. At the same time, every 4-6 months the menu must be changed. In this case, pregnant or sick animals should receive special nutrition.
Keeping chinchillas at home is not difficult, but their age and health status are important. Based on these features, it is necessary to create the most suitable conditions for animals:
- An aviary for an adult rodent should have dimensions of at least 100x50x55 cm. This must be taken into account if several individuals live in one cage.
- It is necessary to equip the aviary with various houses, stairs and labyrinths. Chinchillas are very mobile, especially during mating.
- Rodents need to regularly clean their fur. For this, a sufficiently deep and wide container filled with clean sand needs to be installed in the cage. In it, chinchillas are happy to bathe. The sand bath should be removed from the aviary when the female is preparing for childbirth.
- The cage must necessarily have a sufficiently voluminous litter of shavings or hay. Do not use animal toilets or newspapers for these purposes.
- Chinchillas are pack animals. The males endure especially bad loneliness: they begin to refuse food, lose their fur, become sick. Therefore, it is recommended to start two or more rodents.
It is necessary to equip a spacious aviary for chinchillas with various stairs, slides and hammocks
When keeping chinchillas, animals should be provided with sufficient space for physical activity, good nutrition and care. Comfortable and safe conditions are necessary for the normal life of rodents.
Chinchilla day and day regimen
Chinchillas are nocturnal animals. They sleep during the day and begin to stay awake after 6-8 pm. This should be taken into account when organizing rodent feeding. The animal must have access to food at night.
In the daytime, rodents sleep, and activity is shown in the evening and at night
Chinchillas need to grind their teeth constantly. Their incisors become dull and updated over time. Therefore, in the enclosure, there must be wooden logs made of apple, birch or linden, special chalk or mineral stones, wooden toys, etc.
It is not recommended to give chinchillas products from coniferous wood, oak and orange, as they are characterized by a high resin content.
Complete nutrition of chinchillas must include roughage, that is, hay and twig feed, top dressing from bark, fresh herbs, various vegetables and fruits, etc. Menu for rodents should be made taking into account the following factors:
- The daily needs of chinchillas for a certain amount of nutrients;
- Sex and age of the individual;
- Animal health conditions;
- Physiological features: pregnancy, lactation;
It is necessary to carefully select foods that are in the diet of animals. Hay, grass and bark should be clean, free of dust, dust and rot. Before giving chinchillas food, it is necessary to check its smell: it should not smell of rot or dampness.
Rodents are very sensitive to various fungi and bacteria that often infect dry hay or grains. The necessary products can be prepared in advance in large quantities, taking into account the fact that one individual consumes about 10 kg of prepared combined feed and about 7 kg of hay per year.
There should always be fresh hay in the aviary
High fiber and protein foods should predominate in animal diets. In addition, chinchillas need a sufficient amount of minerals, vitamins, fluids and fatty acids. The lack of various nutrients leads to increased incidence of animals and their early mortality. A deficiency of protein and calcium is especially dangerous for pregnant females, as it causes various malformations in the offspring.
How to feed chinchilla at home?
On average, an adult eats 50-65 g of food per day. In this case, the quantitative content of the diet is as follows:
Contents What likes to eat chinchilla? How to feed a rodent at home The food is rough and juicy The food is dry and rough Do I need to give nutritional…
Chinchillas At Home
Contents Where did they come from Breeding chinchillas in captivity Fluffy namesake Chinchilla: how to behave with a rodent Chinchilla at home We buy…
Features of feeding. First of all, chinchillas belong to herbivorous rodents. But unlike their close relatives, guinea pigs, these animals eat very…
Can Bananas Chinchillas
Chinchillas, although they belong to rodents, are not omnivorous. When buying a small animal, it is necessary to understand that its health will…
Food For Chinchillas How To Feed What They Eat
Contents Nutrition in nature Feeding schedule Food at home Feeding young Tooth grinding Cute fluffy chinchillas have recently become no less popular with…