- What cells are suitable for home chinchilla maintenance
- Chinchilla Professional Breeding Cages
- Basic requirements for cages for chinchillas
- How to make a chinchilla cage
- How to equip a chinchilla cage
Chinchilla has long been one of my favorite pets. For its maintenance a special cage is needed. The quality of life of the animal depends on the size and characteristics of the dwelling. Do-it-yourself cage for a chinchilla or acquire. This is the first thing to take care of when buying a cute rodent.
What cells are suitable for home chinchilla maintenance
When choosing or creating cells, they are guided by the size of the animal and the characteristics of behavior. The following options are common:
- In the form of a showcase. This is a large facility for holding several chinchillas. Often used for breeding. They are made of different materials, for example, wood.
- A more common and economical option is a cage made of metal rods. Often it is immediately equipped with an internal house.
When choosing, take into account the features of each of these types. Characteristics of wooden display cases:
- The design looks better, more like people and chinchillas.
- Animals will be able to grind teeth on a tree.
- Wood is a natural, safe material. This can not be said about particleboard: pets will suffer if they bite the cage.
- The tree absorbs odors and moisture, so after a while the product starts to smell bad.
- Strong, aggressive products must not be used for processing and disinfection. Chemistry remains on the surface. If the chinchilla sharpen its teeth on a freshly washed cage, it can be poisoned.
There are display cases from other materials. After cleaning with chemicals or disinfection, they remain safe. Such options include products from the following materials:
- Profile. Such cells last longer. Some people think that they are more convenient.
- Combined materials, often specially crafted.
Cells made of metal rods have other features:
- The design is convenient to transport and store, it is easy to disassemble.
- Easy to clean.
- The ability to use any detergents and disinfectants. This keeps chinchillas healthy.
- The animals thunder strongly when the bars are touched.
- As a rule, purchased models have shelves made of metal or plastic inside, which are preferably exchanged for wooden ones.
- Garbage gets through the bars into the apartment. Sometimes cells lay on the floor.
Many make homes for chinchillas themselves. The result depends on skills, wishes, opportunities. For example, someone performs the drawings on their own, while others use the finished ones. Some remodel old furniture. The level of complexity and design is selected in each case separately.
Chinchilla Professional Breeding Cages
Some keep animals for sale. For professional content, special cell designs are suitable. They take into account a large number of residents, the ratio of chinchillas of different sexes. For each male, 4-8 females are taken. The most common option is 1: 4.
For professionals, a large cell (block) often consists of 16 branches. It turns out four floors. On each – the same number of cells with a passage for the male. Professional breeders make sections of approximately 50 by 38 by 40 cm.
Further, each cell is arranged as a separate cell. They put their feeders, drinking bowls and the rest. Someone makes large display cases for chinchillas with their own hands and lodges many individuals there.
For professional cells, the main thing is spaciousness, compactness, sanitary safety and ease of maintenance. There are proven sample designs that can be improved.
Basic requirements for cages for chinchillas
For normal health and development, animals need suitable conditions. There are such requirements for cells:
- Sufficient size. In an ordinary apartment, it is desirable to increase the size to at least 50 by 50 by 70 cm for one chinchilla. For the playing area, it is advised to add more space. These sizes are multiplied by the number of animals. If there are more than three, you need to think about another cell. The size of the home is important for moving and maintaining the health of pets.
- When choosing a conventional metal cage, attention is paid to the distance between the rods. It should not be more than 2 cm. Otherwise, chinchillas try to creep into the wild and get damaged. Little animals run away.
- The home should be warm, dry.
- Good ventilation and light are important.
- If the floor is made in the form of a pull-out tray, it is easier to wash, fill up sawdust. Sometimes specially modified.
- The strength of any part of the structure. Flimsy nets, glasses, etc., lead to injuries and escape of pets.
How to make a chinchilla cage
The housing for the animal can be assembled on its own. This usually saves money. Although cages for chinchillas, made by hand, is also not a free thing, but it allows you to take into account all the wishes of the owner of the animals.
A homemade cell will not only fit in size. You can make the necessary changes to the design so that it is adapted to a specific apartment or house.
Crucial is the chosen level of difficulty. Simple but proven designs are affordable for almost everyone.
Tools and materials
For the manufacture of cells prepare everything you need. Depending on the design, preferences and level of training, such materials will be required:
- Sheets of chipboard;
- Small boards;
- Metal mesh with cells measuring 20 by 20 mm;
- Metal tubes, corner;
- Building profile;
- Insulating tape – for design it is better if it is the same color with the future cage;
- Glass 6 mm thick;
- For a cell in the form of a showcase, they take an old cabinet.
Of the tools you will need:
- Electric jigsaw, hacksaw with small teeth;
- Self-tapping screws, bolts;
- Drill, drill;
- Pliers, nippers;
- Screwdrivers, screwdriver;
- Welding machine.
The nature of the work depends on the model. Start with the drawings. They should be detailed and understandable.
It is easier to make a showcase for chinchillas from unnecessary furniture, for example, from a cabinet. The step-by-step instruction looks like this:
- Remove the door.
- Some shelves are removed. Free up space for movement. If there are no shelves, the crossbars are nailed, plywood is laid. Layout – according to the drawing.
- At the top of the cabinet make ventilation holes, close the net.
- In place of the former doors, a wooden frame is installed. Use boards. Another option is the "native" door with a neckline. About 10 cm are left at the edges.
- Pull a metal mesh over the frame.
- It is better if the cabinet was with a drawer below. Then in the main part of the future cell showcases remove the floor.
- Replace it with a grid. Litter fly down, trash. The lower drawer acts as a drawer. They put a special pallet there.
Sometimes there is no blank in the form of an old cabinet. We have to do without it:
- Sheets of laminated chipboard are sawn in size.
- In future doors and side walls make cuts. As a result, only the framework remains.
- Cut the metal mesh with the necessary pieces. You can work with wire cutters.
- Fasten the grid with screws. It is advisable to close the joints, for example, with a nut made of aluminum.
- Collect from the remains of the chipboard pallet (base). Height – 8-10 cm. Self-tapping screws are suitable for fastening. It can be strengthened with a stiffener – a plank glued from below.
- Insert the back and side walls into the pallet. Try on.
- Drill holes in attachment points.
- Fasten the couplers (screws).
- Mount the floor, ceiling.
- Special hinges for glasses are installed on the doors. Mount the latter.
- They put shelves and other internal devices.
- Hang the door.
Hats of fastenings should be closed with caps, edges of cuts – with a furniture film-self-adhesive
For more advanced masters, this option is suitable:
- Assemble the frame. Use metal tubes, for the connection – the corners. Fasten with screws.
- The bottom is covered with a net. Use a welding machine.
- If cleaning will be through the top of the cage, the bottom is laid with planks. When garbage is collected through the bottom, complement the design with a pallet.
- Walls are attached to the cell framework.
- If garbage is collected through a pallet, the top can be closed. In any case, it is desirable to make a removable cover.
- Set loops.
- Hang the door.
- Fasten the castle.
How to equip a chinchilla cage
After the manufacture of the dwelling, everything necessary is placed inside:
Optimal Cage Size For Chinchilla
Contents Chinchillas Breeding chinchillas for fur Breeding Chinchillas as Pets Choosing a Cage for Chinchillas Choosing a cage for chinchillas in the…
Is It Worth It To Let The Chinchilla Out Of The Cage
Chinchillas are very active animals that adore running and exploring the surrounding area. That is why their happy owners often ask themselves: is it…
How To Make Diy Accessories And Toys For Chinchillas
Contents What does a chinchilla need in a cage? Moving Walking ball Outboard Wheel Bell toy Static Shelves Tunnels Stairs and sticks Hammocks Optional…
Chinchilla Home Care And Maintenance
Contents Chinchillas as pets Content Features The necessary conditions How to accustom to the toilet Care Features Chinchilla diet Bathing Video:…
Contents Benefits of Chinchilla Content Choosing a cage for chinchilla Where to place the cage The interior of the cell Privacy house Tray Sand bathing…